Congratulations to Charlie Studd for setting a new WUCA record for the CCW circumnavigation of Lake Taupo in the Male, 18-49 age group on a standard bike.
Record attempt. Lake Taupo Circumnavigation FKT (ccw)
• Rider. Charles (Charlie) Mackenzie Studd
• Date and time. September 8, 2022. 0730am
• Start location. Corner of Te Heuheu and Titiraupenga Street.
• Conditions. A cold, partly cloudy 5C feeling like 4C. Humidity 92%. Wind 5.4km/h at the start in a
northerly direction rising to 20-25km/h gusts after 10am.
• Why. Taupo is an iconic route in New Zealand. It is the largest lake in Australasia. I have
previously raced the route in the Taupo Cycling Challenge, and I wanted to best my time and set
an FKT. In doing so trying to raise the FKT movement in New Zealand.
• Equipment. I rode my Cannondale SuperSixEVO with Roval CLX 32’s.
• Food and drink. SiS Hydration and gels, Horleys energy bars. And a few trusty bananas.
• Best part. The Taupo region has some beautiful scenery and quite roads. Having the Lake Taupo
one side and Mountains Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu the other is spectacular.
• Hardest part. Gusting 20+km/h wind in the last 10k.
• Anything unusual. Luckily everything went to plan thanks to my wonderful crew.
• Finish location. Corner of Te Heuheu and Titiraupenga Street. A new road layout means that this
location now has traffic lights, which is not ideal.
• Finish time. 4.54.42